Lead Software Engineer, Backend (Java)
Company: Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution
Location: Castro Valley
Posted on: July 30, 2022
Lead Software Engineer, Backend (Java) Hulu is a premium
streaming service that offers premium originals, current season TV,
a massive library of hit series and movies, and live television.
Disney+ is the Disney-branded streaming service featuring an
outstanding collection of content from its brands and franchises
recognized and respected all over the world including Star Wars,
Marvel, Pixar, Disney, and NatGeo. Our combined Disney and Hulu
team is looking for hardworking team players to join the Content
Experience Delivery team, who will thrive upon the legacy of Disney
and Hulu, embrace unconventional thinking, and who are passionate
about contributing to The Walt Disney Company s direct-to-consumer
(DTC) experience through strategic hard work and determination. The
Content Experience Delivery team builds systems that provide data
at scale to teams across Disney Streaming. We implement reliable,
high-request services that deliver data that helps power user
experiences for Disney Streaming clients including Hulu, Disney+,
Star+ and ESPN+, across web, mobile, and living room devices. We
are looking for a software engineer who wants to build and operate
these critical services that support all Disney Streaming users.
We're a fast-paced, dynamic, collaborative and fun team, and
looking forward to finding out more about you! Responsibilities:
You'll join a hardworking group of engineers who build and manage
edge-facing orchestration services - powering Disney Streaming
clients running on smart TVs, smartphones, gaming consoles, FireTV,
Apple TV, Roku, and others. We're passionate about data - just like
you! You'll apply your experience with technologies to construct
distributed, large-scale services that provide data from a variety
of backend services to our viewers. Other things you ll be
responsible for are:
- Leading cross team projects.
- Coaching and mentoring other specialists on the team to ensure
that all software utilizes Disney Streaming and industry best
practices for resiliency.
- Collaborate efficiently with product management, technical
program management, operations, and other engineering teams to
capture requirements, drive implementation, and provide
transparency. Basic Qualifications:
- 7+ years of related experience crafting large-scale, highly
- Strong programming skills in Java, Kotlin, or other
object-oriented languages, and a strong grasp of computer science
fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, databases, etc.)
- Experience building RESTful, RPC, or GraphQL services.
- Experience using source control systems and CI/CD
- An ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- A broad perspective on problem-solving.
- Strong communication skills and a desire to share your
knowledge with team members and others at Disney Streaming.
- Experience deploying and scaling within a cloud
- Experience directly managing and mentoring a team.
- Deep experience designing and building solutions with NoSQL
databases and messaging systems.
- Experience with Docker, containers and Kubernetes. Required
- Bachelor s degree in Computer Science (or related field) or
equivalent work experience Additional Information: Location:
Seattle, WA, Santa Monica, CA, New York, NY, or San Francisco, CA
preferred but also open to US Remote for the right candidate. Must
be willing to work Eastern Time hours as needed.
Keywords: Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution, Castro Valley , Lead Software Engineer, Backend (Java), IT / Software / Systems , Castro Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!